Cotton is known as world’s oldest crop. It is believed to be grown in America first and soon was adopted by India and other ancient civilizations. The natural fiber is the fundamental to textile industry because of its versatility. The fabric is perfectly absorbent, resistant to high temperatures and can be easily dyed. Apart from all these features, the cotton fabric is soft, breathable and durable.
Which is The Most Popular Cotton Material in the World?
Cotton is converted into yarns and fabrics through different manufacturing techniques which alter the appearance and texture of the fabric produced.
We have enlisted a few common types of cotton fabrics for your information.
- Broadcloth: It is a tightly woven lustrous cloth that has fine embedded crosswire ribs. It is used in making shirts, blouses and home decorative items.
- Canvas: This rugged, woven cloth made with coarse yarn. Also known as duck, it is used in making cushions, slipcovers, shower curtains and paint drop cloths.
- Chambray: It is a fabric created with the combination of colored and white yarn. Curtains, shirts and dresses are made from it.
- Chenille: This is a fuzzy cotton yarn with pile protruding out of it. It is used in making bed sheets and robes.
- Chintz: It is a glazed fabric often printed with floral strips or flowers. This fabric can provide your bedroom a classic English or Romantic look.
- Corduroy: This ribbed piles fabric is available in various weights and waves. Cushions, bedspreads, jumpers and pants can be made out of it.
- Damask: This patterned fabric is made on jacquard loom. Table linens and tea towels are made from it.
- Flannel: This napped surface soft cloth is made from plain-weave. The fabric is warm and is used in making winter pajamas and night gowns.
- Gingham: This yarn is usually dyed and woven in checks. It is used in kitchen curtains, sheets and pillow cases.
- Jacquard: This fabric produces elaborate, figured weaves. Tapestries, brocade and damask decorative fabrics are made from it.
- Knit: This is a stretchy fabric made by interloping threads together and is used in stitching under wears, t shirts and easy-care dresses.
- Matelasse: The fabric is double woven to provide a 3D look. It is used in making outer bedding and elegant tablecloth.
- Oxford: This fabric is made with a modified basket or plain weave. Mostly it is used in button-down sheets. Recently sheets and pillow cases are also made out of it.
- Precale: This smooth, finely combed woven fabric has a thread count of 180 threads per square inch. Sheets and clothes are made out of it.
- Poplin: This fabric has a fine, horizontal rib effect on the surface. It is known for its high thread count as well. High-quality shirts are made out of this.
- Plisse: The fabric is known for its crinkle effect. Blanket covers and pajamas are made out of this fabric.
- Sateen: It is a smooth and flowy fabric which is used in making sheets, tablecloths and curtains.
- Twill: With the diagonal lines on the surface, twill is a durable fabric. It is used in pants, shorts and slipcovers.
These are the most popular cotton materials in the world. We have already discussed about the Egyptian cotton sheets which are quite popular for bed sheets material. you can check more about cotton on this blog, keep visiting cottonsage.com!